Five Truths about the New Pope
March 4, 2013
TODAY'S BIBLE READING:
<![CDATA[Francis. The new pope has arrived. White smoke. Thousands running through the streets of Rome to greet the new pope as he is first presented. With all the hoopla here are five truths about the new pope.
- He is a man. Despite all the attendant fanfare, this new pope shares the same bodily and mental capacities as every other member of the human race, and is neither more nor less fully made in the image of God.
- He is fallen. Despite his white clothes and calm disposition, this new pope shares the same fallen nature as every other member of the human race, and is just as much a part of the fall as you and I.
- He needs Christ. Despite his Pontifex title and role, this new pope needs the atoning blood of Christ, the Supreme Ruler of the Church, just as much as anyone else.
- He asks for our prayers. Whatever our theology of the pope, whether we consider him friend of truth or enemy of the truth, or somewhere in between, having asked for our prayers we would be mindful to pray for him.
- One day he will face the judgment of God. Like all of us he will be judged according to the gospel of Christ. We should pray that he will defend, preach, and teach that gospel.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Josh Moody (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is the senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL., president and founder of God Centered Life Ministries, and author of several books including How the Bible Can Change Your Life and John 1-12 For You.
To receive God Centered Life devotionals directly in your inbox, as well as other resources, enter your email address in the form at the bottom of this page and click "subscribe."