June 5, 2018: God Tells the Man Who Cares
June 5, 2018
TODAY'S BIBLE READING:
Today’s Bible Reading: 1 Kings 8, Psalm 119:33-40, Luke 1:67-80, Ephesians 3:1-13 Psalm 119:33-40: This section of this psalm once again gives the lie to the idea that the desire to keep the law (or God’s Word) in the way it is expressed here or in the Bible is in anyway legalistic. No, instead, the psalmist is ardently praying that God would help him, teach him, lead him, that he might be empowered to follow God’s Word. There is a need for God’s gracious intervention for us to be able to follow God at all. Listen to the number of times that the psalmist here asks God to help him keep God’s law, and the necessity of that before it is possible for him to do what God’s Word says.
- “Teach me…and I will keep it…” (119:33).
- “Give me understanding, that I may keep your law…” (119:34).
- “Lead me…” (119:35).
- “Incline my heart to your testimonies…” (119:36).
- “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things…” (119:37).
- “Confirm to your servant your promise…” (119:38).
- “Turn away the reproach that I dread…” (119:39).
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Josh Moody (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is the senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL., president and founder of God Centered Life Ministries, and author of several books including How the Bible Can Change Your Life and John 1-12 For You.
To receive God Centered Life devotionals directly in your inbox, as well as other resources, enter your email address in the form at the bottom of this page and click "subscribe."