October 5, 2017: Jacob's Ladder
October 5, 2017
TODAY'S BIBLE READING:
Today’s Bible Reading: Jeremiah 10-11, Ecclesiastes 3:16-22, John 1:43-51, James 2:14-26 John 1:43-51: [Note: As we go through John’s Gospel together over the next few weeks, I will refer you to fuller comments in my recently published commentary on John’s Gospel, as well as the recently published Bible study guide. In addition, at College Church we are currently working our way through John’s Gospel on Sunday mornings, and that will provide you with another take on the material.] Take, then, and read a full analysis of this section of John, and instead this morning simply reflect on the following bullet points:
- Read the story of Jacob’s ladder in Genesis 28. What is Jesus saying about how that story is now fulfilled in him?
- If Jesus is the one and only through whom “heaven [is] opened” (1:51), how should we then prioritize our lives?
- How should we emphasize evangelism?
- How should we emphasize missions?
- What comfort does this give us as we face our own mortality?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Josh Moody (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is the senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL., president and founder of God Centered Life Ministries, and author of several books including How the Bible Can Change Your Life and John 1-12 For You.
To receive God Centered Life devotionals directly in your inbox, as well as other resources, enter your email address in the form at the bottom of this page and click "subscribe."