Preparation for Worship
October 15, 2014
TODAY'S BIBLE READING:
<![CDATA[Worship is active. It takes effort. To come ready to hear God’s Word, to encounter Christ, prepared to receive and give and pray for each other, to minister together – all that does not happen by happenstance. One person in a meeting who has come with his heart fine-tuned for the voice of Christ through His Word, that expectancy can spread throughout the rest of the gathering, fueling a sense of what will happen next. What will God do? Whose lives will be changed? Which hurts will be healed? Which sins will the Holy Spirit convict us of and then lead us to the cross to find forgiveness? In short, a “worship service” is something to get ready for.
- Tenderize your heart by asking God to speak to you.
- Arrive ten minutes before the meeting begins. Look around. See who else is there. Who needs your prayers? Who needs your support or encouragement?
- Invite friends. Come with a group. Ask them each to talk to you afterwards about what you learnt.
- Replace presumption with expectancy by reading the passage for the service before arriving.
- Renew your commitment to Christ the rest of the week so that the “worship service” is the culmination, the peak, the summit, the high point, of a life devoted to Christ.
- Be still. Treat the worship service as if it were the God-designed place to encounter true meaning and perspective upon life itself. Still yourself to realign yourself with Him.
- Think not about the form, what you like or do not like about how someone stands or the way they greet you; instead look through the earthenware pot to the treasure of Christ within.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Josh Moody (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is the senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL., president and founder of God Centered Life Ministries, and author of several books including How the Bible Can Change Your Life and John 1-12 For You.
To receive God Centered Life devotionals directly in your inbox, as well as other resources, enter your email address in the form at the bottom of this page and click "subscribe."